New Gear, New Recipes and Quality Time. Weekend = Win.

This could have been the most productive 48 hours of my life. No exaggeration.

I was set to get up and run with the team on Saturday morning. I went through the normal Friday night routine. Eat a giant bowl of pasta, pack gummy bears and gels, lay out weather appropriate clothes and pick through my sock drawer until I find the newest, comfiest looking pair of socks in the drawer. Comfy socks are key to my survival of long runs. Just knowing they’re cushy makes the mental game a little easier for me. With the pre long run ritual completed, I went to bed ready to hit the pavement of Wellesley for a lovely 18 miles Saturday morning.

Then Saturday morning happened. First, it was pouring outside. Not a little drizzle (which is actually one of my favorite conditions to run in). Pouring. Freezing cold, pouring rain. I also felt so groggy when I even attempted to get out of bed that I did something I try SO hard not to do. I turned off the alarm, and went back to bed. I was sick last week (sore throat M-W, then I had a lovely allergic reaction to a new Probiotic yogurt on Thursday morning. Sneaky food allergies), so my mother begged and pleaded that I waiting until the rain let up. Mom is cute. She acts disgusted by the whole running thing, but she gets really protective when she thinks I’m pushing too hard, and really excited when race days come up. She’s slowly embracing it. Normally I laugh off her suggestions, but this time she seemed to be one to something. Lately I’ve been so exhausted that getting out of bed for work in the morning has been daunting. Maybe, just maybe, all this training has finally caught up with me. Ok mom, you win. I will stay in bed until 9. And it will be glorious.

Once I finally made my way out of bed, I had the “I can’t believe I slept until 9, I need to go be productive while I wait for the rain to stop” guilt. This brought me to Whole Foods, where I stocked up on some healthy goodies for the week. It also brought me to the not so coincidentally placed Lululemon next door. Sure, I’ll go in and just browse. What’s the harm. $125 dollars later, I was on the way home. Oops. I needed another yoga tank and a new pair of compression tights. At least that’s what I told myself.

It opens down the side so I don't get too sweaty. How did I not need this?

Once the rain finally let up around 1, I hit the track at my old high school for a few miles. I don’t know why, but the track seemed more appealing than the road a the time. I thought that no cars potentially splashing me, no jumping over massive puddles, not getting my feet covered in mud; the track was full of perks. These perks were appealing for the first 6 miles. Then it turned from consistent to daunting. The moment I clocked lap number 24 I stopped dead in my tracks. I could feel the repetitive loop taking it’s toll on my left side, and that was enough of that.

I went home, stretched out and foam rolled a little bit, then decided that the pavement was really my only option. There’s a 3.4 mile loop I do from home which I love. It takes me downhill for the first mile or so, then a few good small hills, followed by the big hill on the last mile. It’s the closest simulation to Boston I could come up with from my house, and while the hill is nothing like heartbreak, it’s the best I could do. It also brings me through the Mount Vernon Cemetary, which sounds creepy, but is actually beautiful.

I love this route. It loves me. We're happy together.

I left my house and immediately felt phenomenal. The post rain warm weather was the stuff running dreams are made of. Just cool enough where the humidity isn’t bothersome, but more like a damp cold towel on you at all times. I was in love. I tried to negative split the route, but that just didn’t happen. I’m trying, I really am. One day I will negative split a run longer than 3 miles, and it will be glorious. But for now, I’m happy with my 9:15 first mile, and only dropping off to a high of 10:02. No medals being won here, but I also didn’t want to die at any point. Win.

The rest of Saturday was rather pathetic but kind of amazing. I bought the second of the Hunger Games books (this is for the sole purpose of having something to talk about with the women I work with), ate some delicious left over chicken and potato dish, and then gave into the Dairy Queen craving I’ve been having for the past two weeks.

Sunday I had planned to meet my friend Ida at Lululemon for a complimentary yoga class (who says no to free yoga?) and then breakfast at Whole Foods. When I was there Saturday I noticed that they now have an omelette chef on weekend mornings. Yoga, plus egg white omelette prepared by someone other than myself? Sold. The class was good, though it was slightly crowded and didn’t have the heat blasting which I normally appreciate. But it was free, so I can’t really complain.

After some quality girl time (and Pinkberry- because who doesn’t need frozen yogurt when you had ice cream the night before?); I went home and turned into crazy productive Brittany. I could have a very domestic related blog. Clean Brit, Clean? Brittany in Laundry Land? I’ll have to work on that one.

The moment I walked into my room I saw laundry. And not a little laundry either. I couldn’t shut the lid to the hamper sort of laundry. This usually only happens when Jim is home and he somehow sneaks a full laundry basket into my car when I leave his place “in case I happen to be doing laundry that day”. Right, in case. Because if I don’t it’s no big deal that your motocross gear is going to stink up my room or car for an extra few, putrid hours. Alas, this was all my laundry, with no one to blame but myself and my tendency to change at least twice a day. I hate when messes are my own fault.

So I started out with the laundry in the hamper, which then lead to all the sheets and blankets being washed, and then a Febreeze attack on pretty much everything I own. In between loads of laundry being switched I chopped veggies for the week (it’s so much easier to eat healthy when everything is pre-cut, pre-washed, pre-grilled and pre-thought about), cleaned my car and even made myself a giant container of this Southwestern Quinoa Salad that I love. Super healthy, and I omit the red wine vinegar and olive oil just because I don’t see the need for them. Amazing. If you’re looking for something good to do with quinoa, I suggest giving this a shot.

The Boston Marathon is now exactly 6 weeks away, and I have to admit, I feel under prepared. I don’t quite know why I feel this way considering I jumped into Chicago with no sort of regimented training and a 14 mile longest run. Maybe it’s because I know so many people will be there, maybe it’s because I’m worried about some random factor that I haven’t taken into consideration, or maybe it’s just because it’s BOSTON. People spend their lives trying to run Boston, and I’m actually going to do it. I think that might be what frightens me. That and I went to high school with the son of the director of the Bostom EMS system. He used to come to school after the marathon with his dad’s horror stories. I’m trying to block those out.

Also on my mind- Marine Corp Marathon registration opens on Wednesday. Amica Marathon in Newport is already open. I need to pick one. HELP ME!!

Tonight I’m going to be loving my Hot Yoga with Chris, it’s honestly the highlight of my training week. Then it’s back to the pavement for 5 spring like miles tomorrow. Six weeks to go, no slacking! Happy Monday everyone!

How was your weekend? What awesome training runs did you do, or any great classes you think I should check out? What Fall marathon should I sign up for?? Help!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s